** Annual Report FAQ **

cbellavich

** Annual Report FAQ **

Post by cbellavich » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:51 pm

This is the Frequently Asked Questions for the ACEN 2018 Annual Report.

This post will be updated with the most common questions received regarding completion of the 2018 Annual Report.

GENERAL QUESTIONS

Q: When is the Annual Report due?
A: No Later than 11:59pm on November 16, 2018

Q: I didn’t receive my link to access the annual report! What should I do?
A: Email annualreport@acenursing.org

Q: I won’t be able to finish by the deadline? What do I do?
A: Please contact annualreport@acenursing.org detailing your circumstances requesting an extension. Please note—not all requests for an extension can be granted.

Q: What is the reporting period the Annual Report data encompasses?
A: The majority of the Annual Report period is July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018. Except where indicated:
  • Licensure / certification pass rate: 2017 as defined by your State Regulatory Agency for Nursing
  • Enrollment data: 10/15/2018
  • Faculty data: 10/15/2018
  • Lab Employee data: 10/15/2018

Q: Our program is no longer accredited by ACEN / Our program will no longer be accredited by X date. Do I still have to fill out the Annual Report?
A: If the program was accredited by ACEN during the reporting period of the 2018 Annual Report (July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018) then yes, we request you complete the Annual Report.

Q: Can I have a blank copy of the report to gather the data I need before beginning?
A: Unfortunately, we do not provide blank copies of the report. You can, however, upon accessing the report, select any applicable program options, and print a blank copy of the form from your browser.

Q: Section 3 and/or Section 4 are blank! Help!
A: Please make sure that any and all applicable program options (as listed at the beginning of the report prior to Section 1: General Information) are selected. If that does not populate the section in question, please email annualreport@acenursing.org

SECTION 1 - General Information:

No questions for Section 1 yet! Keep an eye on this space.

SECTION 2 - Subchange:

Q: How do I know whether to mark Y, N, or N/A?
A:
  • If the particular substantive change designated in the question had an implementation date within the reporting period (July 1, 2017 or June 30, 2018), then mark Y.
  • If the change either did not happen or happened outside the date range, then answer N.
  • If the change would under no circumstance even be possible for your program, mark N/A.

Q: What if I’m not sure if a substantive change occurred, or if a change that did occur was substantive or not?
A: When in doubt, it’s okay to mark Y. ACEN will follow up on responses after the Annual Report completion period and determine if further information is necessary.

Q: I know we had a substantive change, but I’m not sure if it was submitted/received or not.
A: Mark N. ACEN will follow up on responses after the Annual Report completion period and determine if further information is necessary.

SECTION 3 - Demographics

Q: We have two program options / locations. Do you want to total numbers for BOTH options/locations?
A: Yes. Please combine the numbers.

Q: If applicants are accepted but decline to attend, how do we account for them?
A: They are considered qualified applicants and would also be enumerated under accepted applicants.

Q: What if I have students on a wait list or on deferred enrollments?
A: Count wait-listed students as Qualified Applicants; if they have not been accepted, do not count them as accepted—conversely, if they have been accepted, they can be counted among accepted applicants.

Q: How do I know if an applicant is “qualified”?
A: If a particular applicant is accepted, they would be considered qualified. If a particular applicant was not accepted but *would* have been if not for circumstances of the program (e.g., maximum applicants accepted, lack of resources, etc) they can be considered qualified applicants.

SECTION 4 - Outcomes

Q: Section 4 isn’t populated! What do I do?
A: Please make sure that any and all applicable program options (as listed at the beginning of the report prior to Section 1: General Information) are selected. If that does not populate the section, please email annualreport@acenursing.org

Pass Rates:
Q: The question says 2017 pass rate. Do I go by calendar year or academic year?
A: For licensure pass rate of first-time test takers, provide the final aggregate score as reported by your State Regulatory Agency for Nursing for 2017 as defined by your State Regulatory Agency.

For instance, many State Boards run January through December, others run October through September. But whatever the State Agency reports as the final aggregate score for 2017, enter that number in the Annual Report.

Q: I have more than one location / program option. Do I need to combine the pass rate data?
A: Yes. For separate locations under one (1) single program umbrella, we recommend combining the pass rates for both locations into one.

Q: How should I combine the pass rate scores? Can I just average the percentages?
A: If the BON *only* provides the end score (i.e., 98%) and no other information, then averaging the scores together is fine, albeit it will be slightly off from the true rate—but if that’s all they provide, then it will suffice.

The preferred method would be to sum the total number of those who passed for both locations and divide by the sum of those two took the test for both locations. I have found sometimes that with some State Boards, they provide the pass rate and the number that tested, but the number of those who actually passed can be backed out by divided # tested by the pass rate.

Q: The program’s licensure pass rate was below 80% but I’m not sure if we submitted a substantive change. How can I check?
A: When in doubt, select N. ACEN will follow up after November 16, 2018. Also, there is no harm in submitting a substantive change report if none is needed.

Completion:

Q: How do I calculate our completion rate?
A: Completion rate is the % of students who complete the program within 150% of the program length.

Q: I have a number of students on track to complete within 150% of the program but have not done so yet, should I include them?
A: No. Only count those who have completed within 150% of the time with certainty.

Q: We have two (2) campuses / options? Do I combine the completion rates for both?
A: Yes. Similar to licensure pass rates, please combine the data of multiple options / locations if they fall under the umbrella of one (1) program.

Job Placement:

Q: We contacted X number of graduates, but only Y number responded. What do I enter for “Graduates Contacted”?
A: We consider a graduate contacted if they responded to efforts to contact them. So if only Y number responded, enter that number.

Q: We send out a survey X months after a cohort graduates. We haven’t contacted the May 2018 graduates yet. How do I answer?
A: Enumerate any graduates that graduated within the reporting period of the Annual Report (July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018)

Enumerate any graduates that were CONTACTED during the reporting period of the Annual Report (July 1, 2017 – June 30 2018), even if they graduated prior to the reporting period. For instance, if you contacted 20 graduates from the May 2017 graduating class in December 2017, they would count as graduates contacted.

End of Program Student Learning Outcomes:

No questions for End of Program Student Learning Outcomes yet! Keep an eye on this space.

SECTION 5 - Faculty

FT Faculty

Q: If I have a faculty member shared with another program that is non-accredited by ACEN, do I list them as shared?
A: Don’t worry about listing as shared. We only want the TOTAL number of faculty within the ACEN-accredited program(s). And of those how many are exclusive.

So, for instance, for an associate program…if there are 100 full-time faculty members for that program, but only 5 are exclusive, then we know by default 95 of them are shared. Only enter the TOTAL and the number of faculty exclusive to a particular program.

Degrees

Q: I have X faculty members with MSN’s and 3 of them have higher degrees but in Non-Nursing. How do I count them?
A: We are seeking the number of faculty with a particular degree in nursing as their highest degree earned, NOT the number of faculty with a particular degree as their highest NURSING degree

As such, if the highest degree earned for a particular faculty member is not in nursing, they should not be enumerated. Only count them if their highest earned degree is in nursing.

Bearing in mind, that it is fully allowed, for instance for a faculty member to have a Master’s in Nursing but hold a non-nursing doctoral degree, but for the sake of the Annual Report and this set of questions, they would not be counted.

PT Faculty

Degrees

Q: I have X faculty members with MSN’s and 3 of them have higher degrees but in Non-Nursing. How do I count them?
A: We are seeking the number of faculty with a particular degree in nursing as their highest degree earned, NOT the number of faculty with a particular degree as their highest NURSING degree

As such, if the highest degree earned for a particular faculty member is not in nursing, they should not be enumerated. Only count them if their highest earned degree is in nursing.

Bearing in mind, that it is fully allowed, for instance for a faculty member to have a Master’s in Nursing but hold a non-nursing doctoral degree, but for the sake of the Annual Report and this set of questions, they would not be counted.

SECTION 6 - Operations

Lab Employees

Q: We have students/adjuncts/volunteers working in a lab, how should I enter them?
A: If a particular type of lab worker does not fall into the groups listed in the answer (e.g., Faculty, Staff, Faculty and Staff) please select Other and provide an explanation in the space provided.

Q: What is considered an employee?
A: If a particular individual is considered to be an employee by and/or of the program’s governing organization, they can be counted as an employee. If not (i.e., volunteer, TA, etc) then no.

SECTION 7 - Feedback, Comments, and Submission:

No questions for Section 7 yet! Keep and eye on this space.
Sincerely,

Corwyn Bellavich
Operations Coordinator
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing
cbellavich@acenursing.org

shelly

Re: ** Annual Report FAQ **

Post by shelly » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:47 pm

Please Clarify regarding Job Placement Rates:
The graduates referred to when answering: "Total # of graduates", will essentially be a different group of people then those referred to when answering "Total number of graduates contacted" given that graduate employment is typically tracked 12 months after graduation (this time frame is also noted in the ACEN instruction manual).
Thank you.

cbellavich

Re: ** Annual Report FAQ **

Post by cbellavich » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi Shelly,

Thank you for asking!

In some cases, you are correct. That said, outside of any significant swings in either enrollment or graduation, statistically speaking, the numbers should be on-par. Plus, as you mentioned, if a graduating class isn't surveyed for 12 months, then no data would be available to enter for the Annual Reporting period for that particular class anyway.

It's an imperfect method, but it should still yield actionable insights.

I hope that helps!

-Corwyn Bellavich
Sincerely,

Corwyn Bellavich
Operations Coordinator
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing
cbellavich@acenursing.org